CRS Rice Bowl helps us encounter Lent.
We are called to love our neighbor. But, like the scholar in the scripture passage, we may find ourselves wondering, “Who is my neighbor?” This Lent, CRS Rice Bowl—Catholic Relief Services’ Lenten faith-in-action program, will help us answer that question.
We are invited to reflect on how an encounter with our neighbor—as companions on life’s journeys—can be transformative. We will see how our prayers, fasting and alms can support those worldwide who are forced to flee their homes to find safety or better opportunities.
Join nearly 14,000 faith communities in 180 dioceses around the U.S. in prayer, fasting and almsgiving this Lent. Together, we will serve our brothers and sisters most in need around the world while forming families and faith communities in global solidarity. Take action to build the culture of encounter as missionary disciples with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) this Lent.
- Through prayer, we encounter Christ, present in the faces of every member of our human family, so often still walking that long road to Calvary.
- Through fasting, we encounter our own obstacles, those things about ourselves that prevent us from loving God and neighbor.
- Through almsgiving, we encounter our brothers and sisters around the world, asking what we can give up so that others might have life to the fullest.
Through CRS Rice Bowl, we hear stories from our brothers and sisters in need worldwide, and devote our Lenten prayers, fasting and gifts to change the lives of the poor. Each day of Lent, individuals are invited to use the Lenten Calendar—included with every CRS Rice Bowl—to guide their Lenten almsgiving. These daily almsgiving activities—for example, give 25 cents for every faucet found in your home—help families reflect on the realities of our brothers and sisters around the world and how they can be in solidarity during the Lenten season.
How will you contribute to the culture of encounter this Lent?
Bring CRS Rice Bowl to your community.
Check with your parish or school and tell them that you want CRS Rice Bowl to be a part of your community’s Lenten observances.
Parishes and schools may order CRS Rice Bowl materials or call 1-800-222-0025 to place an order. Be sure to watch the video on How to Kickoff CRS Rice Bowl.
How are donations used?
Driven by our faith, we are committed to help those in need no matter where they may live. In that spirit:
75 percent of your gift supports CRS’ programs around the world. Some examples include:
- Agriculture projects help farmers improve harvests
- Water and sanitation projects bring clean water to communities
- Microfinance projects support small businesses
- Mother and child health projects offer health and nutrition services
- Education projects provide resources and training
25 percent of your donations go to hunger and poverty alleviation efforts in your own community. Contact your CRS diocesan director to find out how your diocese uses the 25 percent.