Whether you’re an elementary school teacher, high school teacher, youth minister or catechist, you have a role in educating young people in the faith-and CRS Rice Bowl has resources to help. Click on your group below.
Encourage your students to bring the themes of Lent home to their families. Send this Letter Introducing Families to CRS Rice Bowl home at the beginning of Lent, and pass out this reminder letter to Turn In Your CRS Rice Bowl as Lent draws to a close. Use these Newsletter Blurbs to stay in touch with students’ families throughout the Lenten season.
And don’t forget to encourage families to explore our Family Page designed just for them!
Looking for a new way to teach your students about the Lenten pillars of prayer, fasting and almsgiving? With the ready-made lesson plans below, you can share Lenten spirituality with your class while introducing students to Catholic social teaching — and our Gospel call to serve our brothers and sisters around the world. There are lesson plans and activities for Grades 1-8 introducing students to the five highlighted principles of Catholic social teaching for this year’s featured CRS Rice Bowl countries: India, Zambia, El Salvador, Mexico and Ethiopia.
|Grades 1-3, Lesson Plans & Activity Sheets||Grades 1-3, Activity Sheets Only|
|Grades 4-6, Lesson Plans & Activity Sheets||Grades 4-6, Activity Sheets Only|
|Grades 7-8, Lesson Plans & Activity Sheets||Grades 7-8, Activity Sheets Only|
Or, download the entire Educator’s Guide — and don’t forget our online-only modules featuring Ethiopia. Check out our YouTube channel to view and share instructive and inspiring videos featuring those served by CRS Rice Bowl.
Bring prayer into your classroom in a special way this Lent. Use this 10-Minute Prayerful Introduction to kick off your Lenten season, and don’t forget to close this holy time with this Prayer Service to End Lent.
Explore these other tools for Lenten reflection, and invite your students to prayer while they learn about the realities faced by their brothers and sisters around the world.
- Journey with Jesus to Calvary with these Catholic social teaching inspired Stations of the Cross.
- Contemplate the role Jesus’ mother, Mary, played throughout his life with these Seven Sorrows of Mary.
- Learn from those who have come before us by reflecting on the Lives of the Saints.
- Test your knowledge of our Church’s mission with this Global Discipleship Quiz.
- Keep these prayer cards in your wallet, pocket or backpack to remember those for whom we pray this Lent.
The destination is up to you, but no matter where you take your class or group this Lent, your youth will have the opportunity to, as Pope Francis encourages us, encounter a brother or sister who lives a life very different from their own. Select from any of this year’s featured CRS Rice Bowl countries to download modules full of reflections, activities and exercises that will challenge youth to engage more fully in global solidarity. Ready to get started?
|India:||Option for the Poor||The Story||Prayers & Activities||The Video|
|Zambia:||Sacredness & Dignity of the Human Person||The Story||Prayers & Activities||The Video|
|El Salvador:||Dignity of Work||The Story||Prayers & Activities||The Video|
|Mexico:||Call to Community||The Story||Prayers & Activities||The Video|
|Ethiopia:||Care for Creation||The Story||Prayers & Activities|
|Diocese of Honolulu:||Solidarity||The Story||Prayers & Activities||The Video|
Or, download all the activities here.
Wondering how to get your whole high school community involved? Here are 6 steps to integrate CRS Rice Bowl into your high school’s Lenten journey.
Go further this Lent with these additional reflection resources:
- Reflexiones para la Pastoral Juvenil Hispana: Available only in Spanish and appropriate for individuals ages 14 – 35, use this resource to accompany your ministry members through faith formation modules that offer activities, reflections on scripture and prayers.
- Community Reflections: Available only in English, and appropriate for individuals ages 18 – 40, gather small faith-sharing groups to prayerfully consider how they use the season of Lent to encounter themselves, their neighbors and their God.
- Stations of the Cross Digital Retreats: Spend 1-minute reflecting on how Jesus’ road to Calvary continues today in the daily lives of our brothers and sisters around the world.
- Eucharistic Adoration — Food for All: Gather your community in prayer and adoration before the Blessed Sacrament as you consider the implications of hunger on our global family.
- Seven Sorrows of Mary: Contemplate the role Jesus’ mother, Mary, played throughout his life with these Seven Sorrow of Mary.
- Stations of the Cross: Journey with Jesus to Calvary with these Catholic social teaching inspired Stations of the Cross.
- Lives of the Saints: Learn from those who have come before us by reflecting on the Lives of the Saints.