About CRS Rice Bowl
CRS Rice Bowl is Catholic Relief Services’ Lenten faith-in-action program for parishes, schools and families. The program invites Catholics to live in solidarity with our poorest and most vulnerable brothers and sisters through the three Lenten pillars of praying, fasting, and almsgiving. Participants journey throughout the forty days of Lent with the daily reflections included in the Lenten Calendar, offering small, suggested sacrificial gifts to fill their Rice Bowls as they read and watch Stories of Hope from individuals and communities whose lives have been changed by CRS Rice Bowl contributions. Since 1975, Catholics have been using CRS Rice Bowl to meditate on the love Jesus Christ demonstrates in his Passion and Resurrection and to imitate Jesus’ love for the world through concrete, sacrificial giving to our brothers and sisters in need.
CRS Rice Bowl asks us to:
- Pray to deepen our relationship with God and reflect on what type of person He calls us to be.
- Fast to remove the things that get between us and God and to live in solidarity with those in need.
- Give alms to our brothers and sisters in need, honoring Jesus’ call to serve our neighbors.
Learn more about How to Practice Lent.
Interested in bringing CRS Rice Bowl to your community?
Check with your parish or school and tell them that you want CRS Rice Bowl to be a part of your community’s Lenten observances. Parishes and schools may order CRS Rice Bowl materials free of charge online or by calling 1-800-222-0025. Look through our website to find resources that will help bring Lent to life in your parish, school, religious education program, youth ministry program or other faith formation group!
When you give to CRS Rice Bowl…
- 75 percent of your donations support CRS’ humanitarian relief programs in nearly 100 countries worldwide.
- 25 percent of your donations go to hunger and poverty alleviation efforts in your own community.